Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A question of interest

Hello All;

  Recently, my parents came up from Florida on their way to their home in northern Michigan, stopping at my home for a visit.  I mentioned that in a prior post.  What I didn't mention is the change in television programming in the Randy household.
  To be honest, if it weren't for their occasional visits, I'd likely drop the television portion of my way overpriced cable/internet package.  I so very rarely have the tv on, it's more typically a surprise to see what is on tv now.  And, what I found when their interests were allowed access to the remote control was a lot of shows about gun violence in one form or another.  I thought that very interesting.
  Now, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the occasional shoot-'em-up action show.  But, I was really surprised by the number of times a character matter-of-factly pulled out a weapon and pulled the trigger.
  There was a research project done in the '70's showing kids violent programs on television and then observing their play afterward.  I won't bother with a link, it's famous enough for a simple google search.  The point found was that violence observed in the children's entertainment very likely to find violence observed following in their play.  Of course, there is a huge difference between kids and adults.  Adults are bigger and have access to more weapons....
  So, in truth, the question that comes to my mind is this:  are the shows so prevelent on tv right now that incorporate violence as a simple matter plot and normalcy influencing the rise in violence in our culture?  Or, is the rise in violence in our culture mirrored by the things we find interesting and entertaining and therefor financially lucrative to television programmers?

  I can't help but to remember my favorite shows in the '80's growing up.  Family Ties with Alex P. Keaton (Michael Fox).  Cheers with Sam Malone - who now portrays a CSI person who investigates horrific murders.  Cosby show.... which had absolutely nothing to do with guns.   Now, were there shows that did?  sure.   Blossom.  Give Me a Break, with Nell Carter. Even Hill Street Blues didn't show the guns all that often!

  So, here is my second question:  If the things we saw as interesting, entertaining and exciting were shows about life, love, hope, happiness, mystery, etc., would our society be different or would we be so drawn to the shows that were about violence and guns that the networks would go broke?
 

4 comments:

  1. I have an idea for the T.V. thing. Ron and I gave up internet TV. We have amazon prime, and Netflix and the new HBONow. They are accessed online. Either through our computers or online through either the internet TV or my Xbox. I think you have a internet capable blue ray player so that should let you channel those to the TV. I know that you can also send the signal from the from your computer to the TV.

    As for what is on TV. The people who own the programming, who do the shows, who pay for advertising, all that is on TV comes from what the people want, will watch and pay for. So they play to the lowest common denominator. As more people watch stupid stuff than smart stuff there is a lot lot more stupid stuff on the TV. Because so many people watch the stupid stuff they whole bunch of them get more stupid. and the cycle continues. Well that is my thoughts on the subject. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scottie;
      I will check out the hbo thing. I think you got my point about the programming. Have you seen the same development I have?

      hugs
      randy

      Delete
  2. Yes, and what is strange is the extremist way it is portrayed. It doesn't matter if it is science fiction or drama or a reality show, violence is open and played to the max effect. Yet at the same time love and caring and tenderness is downplayed as if it is a disease. Weird world we are sinking in. Hugs

    ReplyDelete