Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Honest Work.


 Hello everyone.  This edges on the "no bad news" rule, but I say it with a different spin.  I'm not going to talk about how people who are wealthy, working behind a desk making gobs of money are evil and shortsighted, etc.
  I want to tell you about a bit of freedom.  I work at a job right now that is stressful, seems to thrive on the concept that there is no way to actually do it right - someone is going to be pissed off.  On my off hours, of which there are not so very many since I work about 55 hours a week on this "normal" job, I have a small service where I mow lawns.  I don't make a lot of money at it, but I enjoy doing it.  And, mowing lawns pays for the equipment that I eventually will need to do my own lawn, so it's not a horrible activity financially.  But what I really get out of the job:  freedom and satisfaction.
  You see, I get to help people by making their lawn look great.  I'm not a professional, and since I actually bought the house I grew up in, most times I'm mowing the same lawns in my mid-40's that I mowed as a 12-year old kid, hopefully doing a better job now.  But, when I'm done, I can look over the work and be happy.  It looks nice, I've been out in the fresh air, the sunshine, amidst bird song.... and I've gotten paid for it.  Am I a lazy person because I don't have a multimillion dollar business lawn-mowing service, or am I down-right rich because I can actually enjoy working?
  Honest work.  Seems a strange grouping of words.  But, working where you do your best, work constructively, can take pride in your accomplishments and work performed, and know that the work you did helps someone live a happier life; this is my definition of honest work.  I can't see how anyone could look down on that, and I can't see how we should be impressed by anyone who would.
hugs.

2 comments:

  1. Plus I think the author is so smart and his work so well written. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I think my brother is so very kind. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete